Fluoride Unleashed: Your Smile’s Guardian Angel
Fluoride is an effective, natural, trace element found in a variety of foods. This can either prevent dental decay or reverse its adverse effects. Used over 50 years, this mineral possesses several benefits that find application in modern preventive dentistry.
The family dentist in Northwest Albuquerque, NM, offers comprehensive fluoride treatments to keep tooth decay at bay! This can tremendously enhance your oral health and overall physical well-being.
What is fluoride treatment?
Fluoride treatment is a dental procedure where concentrated fluoride is applied to the teeth in the form of a gel, varnish, or fluoridated water. The fluoride seeps into the deeper layers of the tooth structure and forms a protective covering that coats your teeth.
- Remineralizes your tooth enamel
- Reverses early tooth decay
- Slows down the process of demineralization
- Prevents the growth of cavity-causing bacteria
Fluoride can be administered in the following ways:
- Topical fluoride
- Prevents decay in the newly erupted teeth.
- Fluoride is delivered through toothpaste, mouth rinse, foam, varnish, and gels.
- The treatment is recommended for children at least twice a year during dental checkups.
- Systemic fluoride
- This type of fluoride delivery can strengthen the erupted teeth as well as the ones that are still developing under the gums.
- This is directly ingested through regular community water supply or in the form of gels or tablets.
- Care should be taken to discuss the dose with your dentist to prevent fluorosis (excess fluoride levels that cause white spots or stains on your teeth).
Is fluoride treatment necessary?
Fluoride treatment is indicated for the following reasons:
- Deep pits and fissures on the occlusal surfaces of the teeth
- Recent history of dental decay
- Exposed and sensitive root surfaces
- Poor oral hygiene
- Frequent sugar and carbohydrate intake
- Xerostomia, a condition caused by low saliva content leading to dry mouth
What are the benefits of fluoride treatment?
Fluoride treatment is a common preventive measure adopted by millions globally due to the following benefits:
- It can be effectively used for both children and adults
- Effectively prevents tooth decay
- Significantly arrests existing caries
- Is cost-effective
- Less-time consuming
- Avoids the necessity for extensive and expensive dental work
- Prevents premature loss of teeth
Dentists channel the power and potential of fluorides to reinforce your tooth enamel and reduce the risk of caries. Ensure to brush and floss your teeth twice daily, eat balanced meals, minimize sugary snacks, and visit your dentist regularly for long-lasting results. Good oral health is essential for your overall health and wellness. A healthy mouth paves the way for a healthy body, mind, and soul.